When I first started at WonderBill, the app had limited functionality and
However, it was helping people manage their bills and ultimately helping a
of those save money. My job was to design and test new features, improve the
bring it up to date, and to improve the overall user experience ultimately
number of KPIs.
The app was clearly useful for users, we could see that in the data and
reviews in the
app store but we knew we could go further to help customers manage their
After earlier user research, we found that users were having issues with
knowing how much
they had left to pay as the app only showed the total amount due for a
rather than paid and is still due. There were a few issues with the accuracy
amounts and showing when the bill was due. This was down to some technical
didn’t have an easy fix but did have a negative impact on the user
I set 3 objectives for this project:
Help users better manage their money
Increase the accuracy of the data
Increase monthly active users and retention.
I wanted to learn the first thing the user wanted to see was after they had
app. i.e. If they only had 5 seconds to open the app what did they want to
there I drilled down into more details.
I had to understand what limitations there were with the data and what I
could show to
the user. This required talking to the dev team and coming up with solutions
achievable in the time frame we had. I needed to be sure what we showed was
enough not to cause a negative experience for the user. I needed to find out
what they felt about data being inaccurate and what actions they would take.
I had to
convince the business that we needed to tackle this problem as it was
to add time onto the project.
There were no real direct competitors of WonderBill. However, there were a
number of open
banking and bill management solutions. I needed WonderBill to stand out and
not make the
same mistakes the other solutions were making.
There were lots of ideas generated from the brainstorming session. We managed
shortlist them to a handful that would help us achieve the goals I set out
at the start.
Some ideas from the brainstorming session
Dashboard showing what is left to pay
The dashboard becomes centre of the app. We explored options that included
not having a
dashboard. However, there was just too much information we needed to
display, so it
deserved its own space. The results and initial feedback from the dashboard
It was very clear where the user stood with the state of their bills at just
and on the plus side we stood out from our competitors.
I needed to restructure the navigation of the app to accommodate the new
gathered all the screens and documented the different navigation types that
were in the
app. I then simplified and made the navigation consistent across all levels.
easy to understand when a user navigated away from the top level.
New navigation system
HealthCheck card and modal
I planned to create spending and bill insights for our users but we didn’t
data available so we had to make some compromises. We ended up creating the
which would let customers know when their tariffs and contracts were coming
to an end.
We’d then show how much they could save and give them access to switching.
Too many empty states make an app feel boring and can be hard for them to get
This is why I came up with Discover. The idea was to make interesting
‘empty’ states for
when a user didn’t have any data in the app. I wanted to show the users what
missing rather than just listing bullet points or a wall of text. The call
underneath related to the discover piece, for instance the HealthCheck add
was a list of suppliers which were supported by the HealthCheck, encouraging
Discover HealthCheck card and screen
Spending card and screen
Spending was a really nice way we could show customers how they were spending
and where WonderBill could save them money. Unfortunately, this feature of
did not make it into the app. This was down some data issues and the changes
were just too big for it to go into the release.
To calculate total bills for the month we had to predict the amount of some
of the bills
based on the previous month or previous payment. We did some testing around
customers didn’t initially like the idea. We had tested the version on the
customers were happy with it and understood what it was.